Products Liability Cases
A products liability case in California is a case that is brought against the manufacturer, distributor and/or seller of a dangerous product after someone is injured or killed. In order to successfully bring a products liability case in California you must look closely at a number of factors including: the nature of the defect in the product, whether or not the defect caused the injuries suffered and the responsible parties.
Nature of Defective Product
In order to successfully pursue a products liability case, you must prove that the product was defective:
- Defectively Designed Products liability cases often involve situations where the design of the product is inherently dangerous. These types of claims often lead to large scale recalls of the items because they are dangerous even though they were produced correctly according to their design.
- Defectively Manufactured Products liability cases often involve situations where there was an error in the manufacturing process. Items missing integral parts that cause malfunctions are considered defectively manufactured products.
- Products without Adequate Warnings or Instructions are often involved in products liability cases after someone is injured while using the item in a foreseeable manner considering the current warnings. The essential idea is that manufacturers and distributors have an obligation to warn of the dangers associated with using their products.
What caused the injuries?
In order to successfully pursue a products liability case in California, you must prove that the product was defective when it was purchased and that the injury you suffered was directly related to the product defect. Working with an experienced and knowledgeable products liability attorney will allow you to prove that your injuries are related to the defective product and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Who is responsible?
Each person in the chain of distribution may be responsible for the injuries you or a loved one suffered as a result of a defective product. These parties could include:
- The manufacturer of parts of the item
- The manufacturer who assembled the item
- The distributor or wholesaler
- Any sellers, including retail stores where the item was purchased
Identifying all of the responsible parties in a products liability lawsuit is extremely important because an injured party is only able to bring a lawsuit for the same injury once.
Trust Our Experienced, Knowledgeable Products Liability Lawyers
At Shenfield & Associates, our attorneys are forceful, aggressive, yet compassionate advocates for clients. They pursue just compensation from responsible parties for all of our client's damages sustained from serious injuries caused by defective products. If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a defective product, please contact us. We offer a free consultation to better serve you and also offer service in Spanish.